Amazon donates devices across Europe and provides extra resources during COVID-19
Amazon is teaming up with hospitals and charities to supply thousands of devices across Europe to those in need during COVID-19. We are donating $5 million in devices globally and in Europe we are helping patients in hospitals stay connected and making it easier for children to learn while schools and libraries are closed.
Donations across Europe
Below are some of the ways we're helping. We will continue to update this page with new information.
- We are working with the Hôpitaux de Paris - Hôpitaux de France Foundation (HP-HF) and Un Monde de Liens initiative from the Boulanger Foundation, to help people directly impacted by COVID-19. The donation of Fire 8 HD and Fire 7 tablets will help to support the nursing staff of French hospitals and allow hospitalized patients and elderly people in nursing homes to maintain the link with their families.
- We have donated Fire 8 HD tablets to Save the Children in Italy who are distributing them to families who need devices to stay informed, connected and entertained.
- Albero Della Vita, a non-profit organization in Italy that fosters the development of children and families, has received Fire HD 8 tablets, which will be used by families to learn, stay entertained and communicate with loved ones.
- We have donated Fire HD 8 and Fire HD 10 tablets to Caritas, Arbeiterwohlfahrt and Hephata Diakonie in Germany to support elderly residents in care homes to stay informed and connected.
- We have donated 1000 Fire HD 8 devices to Teach First – the charity works with schools facing the biggest challenges across England and Wales and supports children from particularly disadvantaged backgrounds. The Fire HD tablets will help children who do not have access to devices like tablets or laptops keep up to date with their school work and stay in touch with their teachers.
- We have donated 500 Kindle devices to ARK who run schools in disadvantaged areas across the UK. The devices will help students keep up with their reading and revision while access to schools and libraries remain limited during COVID-19.
- An Amazon Gift Card donation of £20,000 has helped Tallaght University Hospital (Dublin) enhance the technology in patient rooms, Theatre, ICU and nurses’ stations.
Extra resources during COVID-19
We want to do everything we can to support you during these unprecedented times and our teams are working to make Alexa and Amazon Devices (Kindle, Fire tablets, Echo, Fire TV, and more) even more helpful during the COVID-19 pandemic. We'll continue to update this page with new information.
Alexa can now answer questions related to COVID-19 in countries around Europe and we are working to provide accurate and timely information from official government and news sources.
- For the latest news, customers can use Fire TV devices to access coverage of COVID-19 from apps that do not require a subscription, such as BBC News in the UK, France 24 in France or RTVE in Spain.
Support your community
We are working on ways to help you support your community in this time of crisis.
- You can make cash donations to the Red Cross COVID-19 response fund using just your voice in the UK by saying “Alexa, make a donation to the coronavirus fund”. This feature is also available in Spain, France and Germany.
- In Italy you can donate to Protezione Civile by saying “Alexa, I want to make a donation to Protezione Civile”.
We are working on ways to keep you connected.
- You can use Alexa video calling to stay connected to friends and family near or far using compatible Echo devices, the Alexa app, or Skype. Just say, "Alexa, call Dad." You can also use Drop In to check on your kids throughout the day. Simply say, "Alexa, drop in on the living room."
- Video calling and Drop-In are available on the Alexa App or an Echo Show device. Learn how to remotely set up a device for your loved ones.
We—like many of you—are looking for things to do at home with our families and loved ones. Around the world, we have been working quickly to provide easy access to educational and entertaining content across Amazon devices and services.
- Families everywhere can now stream free audio stories in six languages from Audible in UK, Germany, France and Italy and access free digital books in UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. This includes titles to inform and entertain children, from study guides to stories. For adults, there are eBooks to help with personal development and magazines about sport, interiors and more.
- Prime customers have access to eBooks across genres including children's literature, romance, and health and wellness for free with Prime Reading in UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain on your Kindle, tablet or phone.
- Say, "Alexa, play music," to listen to an ad-supported selection of top playlists and thousands of stations for free with Amazon Music in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.
- A UK guide to the free content you can access right now on Amazon is available here and highlights include Free virtual coding program, #ReadTogether with the Book Depository and a selection of free family content on Fire Tablets and Fire TV including BBC CBeebies and daily exercise routines from DailyUp Fitness.